Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 2021 08:39:09 +0100
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt@burggraben.net>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ThunderBird and DAV calendars

On 12/12/21 23:24, Christoph Moench-Tegeder wrote:
> 9a2174d4e02e does the trick for me.

Yes.
I was trying to fix this yesterday and came up with an almost identical
patch.

> thunderbird's javascript code needs more than basic DNS resolution
>     (e.g. SRV, TXT, MX lookups) - more than javascript natively has
>     (welcome to the web) and builds it's own bindings for libc to use
>     the resolver(3) interface.

Yes, welcome to the web :-(
When, some years ago, they announced ThunderBird was moving to "web
technologies" I was worried.
This ugly hack makes me thing I was right.

It's a pity there's no good alternative to TB.

  bye & Thanks
	av.

P.S.
I also see:
> console.error: (new Error("couldn't open library libc.so: /usr/lib/libc.so: invalid file format", "resource:///modules/CLib.jsm", 46))

I don't know what the consequences are, but it's obvious
modules/CLib.jsm is trying to dlopen (or whatever it's called in JS)
"libc" (/usr/lib/libc.so), which is a text file. Instead it needs to use
"/lib/libc.so.7" (which is what it does on Linux, BTW).
Then again, this is on FreeBSD 12, but might break with future versions :-[

I also guess "there's no two without three": since this isn't
centralized somewhere, there are probably other places all around the
code where such beautiful things happen.