Date:      Fri, 5 Jun 1998 11:22:52 +0800 (SGT)
From:      chas <panda@peace.com.my>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@zwb.net>, charlespeters@tecpro.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Long Login ID's

>> I am setting up an email server, and would like to allow up to about
>> 15 characters as an email name (ie. my email address is
>> charlespeters@tecpro.com ... charlespeters is 13 characters).
>>
>> What about an email name with a period between the first and last
>> names (ie.  charles.peters@tecpro.com).
>>
>> Where can I find out info on setting something like this up.
>
>Either the FAQ answer this.  It's very easy to change the maximum number
>of charecter in a username, do a  make world, and *break your system*.
>The thing is, that many system utilities that come with FreeBSD
>automatically assume 8 charecters in a username.
>
>The workaround for what you're doing is this.  Create username with eight
>(8) charecters, and make aliases to them with longer name in /etc/aliases.

Yes, but it would be nice not to confuse users, wouldn't it ?

"Here, you login as 'rumpel' and and people can
send email to you at 'rumpel@ourdomain.com' or
'rumpelstilskin@ourdomain.com', just remember to
set your reply address to the latter in your
email config"

vs.

"Use rumpelstilskin for everything"

? sort of looks more professional (imho)

Anyway, returning to the initial question, if you do intend to go
for the 16-character login names, as you seem to have, a word of
warning :
Do not let users have  "_" or "." in their login names. Although
such usernames work fine when logging in, such nomenclature has
been causing me a bit of grief on Cyrus IMAPd.  (Then again, I'm
sure one could tweak pwcheck to handle this and perhaps it could
just be me and my setup, but better to be safe than sorry.)

Hyphens work fine ..... and are more aeshetic than underscores
anyway ;)

chas