Date:      Wed, 28 May 2003 19:57:07 -0400
From:      "akanwar@digitarchy.com" <akanwar@digitarchy.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   gratuitous ARP with em interface.

Hi all,
 =20
Is there a known issue with alias IPs on em interfaces not sending out
gratuitous arps ?

The situation is as follows:
 I am running a custom redundancy daemon that migrates the IP address of a=

server from one interface to another in case the active network path fails=
=2E
Till now I was experimenting with two fxp interfaces and everything worked=

perfectly=2E i=2Ee=2E when the ip address moved over (using a perl script =
to run
ifconfig commands) it sent out grat=2E arps for each of its alias IPs=2E T=
his
allowed the router to update its Arp table and talk to the newly active
interface=2E

Now when I try running the code with em (gigabit Ethernet over copper)
NICs, I simply do not see the gratuitous arps come out of the new interfac=
e=2E

I am at a loss to understand what has changed=2E Could it be that the line=

DOWN -> UP time of the em interface is longer thereby causing a loss of
ARPs ? Any suggestions ?

Thank you=2E

=20
=20