Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:43:00 +0400
From:      Sergey Zaharchenko <doublef@tele-kom.ru>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Phantom /var full messages

--ibTvN161/egqYuK8

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 11:23:11AM -0400,
 Jerry McAllister probably wrote:
>=20
> No, you are running out of space!   DF has nothing to do with it.
>=20
> If one of the processes grabs some file space and then unlinks, it
> is still holding/using that space and probably needs it, even if=20
> one method (df) shows it used and another (du) does not.   Don't be=20
> fooled by the red herring of du and df disagreeing.  Some process is=20
> trying to use that space and you need more of it.  =20
>=20

Correct. du can only show the `named' space (the size of files which are
not unlinked-but-open).

One of the ways to find out what has the largest files open is

# fstat | grep /var | sort -r -n -k 8 | head

(gives you the `top ten list' of the largest open files and the
processes which use them).

If the problem is in a program holding lots of small files open, then a
different script (utilizing uniq -c) could be devised.

> If you are doing database stuff, then I can't imagine having a /var
> of less than a few GB, unless you move a lot of stuff out of /var and
> create links.   See some recent previous posts on the subject.

31GB is `a few GB' in some sense.