Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2017 16:02:31 +0200
From:      Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
To:        Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>, Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Source of QEMU woes: CPUTYPE

On 4-4-2017 20:31, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On 4 Apr 2017, at 14:34, Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net> wrote:
>>
>> A while ago I posted on here about some problems I'd had with testing
>> boot loader modifications on QEMU, and which also showed up on an
>> unmodified HEAD.
>>
>> I ultimately tracked down the source of the problem: I had
>> CPUTYPE?=native set in my /etc/make.conf.  As my CPU is relatively
>> recent, this caused some instructions that QEMU doesn't support to be
>> generated in various places (most notoriously, in strlen), which would
>> trigger illegal instruction exceptions.
>
> Out of interest, what does "llvm-tblgen -version | grep 'Host CPU'"
> show?  (This is a simple way to see what LLVM auto-detects.)
>

>> I'm posting this here, as it's somewhat non-obvious, and probably ought
>> to be documented somewhere.
>
> I usually find it clearer to specify the exact CPU type myself, for
> example CPUTYPE?=core-avx2 (which is an alias for "haswell").  You can
> also specify a lower CPUTYPE to build the world that you are going to
> run inside QEMU.

So what does:
  Host CPU: bdver1
tell me?

It actually is a:

CPU: AMD FX-8370 Eight-Core Processor                (4013.71-MHz
K8-class CPU)
  Origin="AuthenticAMD"  Id=0x600f20  Family=0x15  Model=0x2  Stepping=0

Features=0x178bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT>
Features2=0x3e98320b<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,MON,SSSE3,FMA,CX16,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,POPCNT,AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,F16C>
  AMD Features=0x2e500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM>
  AMD
Features2=0x1ebbfff<LAHF,CMP,SVM,ExtAPIC,CR8,ABM,SSE4A,MAS,Prefetch,OSVW,IBS,XOP,SKINIT,WDT,LWP,FMA4,TCE,NodeId,
TBM,Topology,PCXC,PNXC>
  Structured Extended Features=0x8<BMI1>
  SVM:
Features=0x1cff<NP,LbrVirt,SVML,NRIPS,TscRateMsr,VmcbClean,FlushByAsid,DecodeAssist,PauseFilter,<b11>,PauseFilterThreshold>
Revision=1, ASIDs=65536

--WjW