Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 1999 23:40:38 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Arjan van der Oest <arjan@nl.demon.net>
To:        up@3.am
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: console redirection and other kernel options

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999 up@3.am wrote:

> I've built a rackmount server that I'd like to be able to get into the
> console remotely, via a direct connection from a PM2.  I've got the bios
> to come come up over the serial connection (it's an Intel L440GX+ with
> console redirection support) and I built a new kernel with:
>
> device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" flags 0x20 tty  irq 4

Just put a boot.config file in your root containing "-P".

This will boot on the serial console when there is no keyboard detected.
Change /etc/ttys with these lines (note the 'secure' and 'vt100' part).

ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on  secure
ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on  ssecure

> supposed to force the OS console to COM1.  However, once I get past the
> bios and the initial kernel load, it stops reporting to the serial
> console, and it takes no keyboard input from the vt320 I have hooked up
> there.  If a vga monitor and PC keyboard are hooked up, they work fine and
> it otherwise boots normally.

Switch that BIOS option back off, this should do the trick.

> Any hints on how to get this working, would be greatly appreciated.  On a
> somewhat related note, I noticed that the original GENERIC kernel was
> about 2.3MB, and this new one that I built is <cough> 8.3MB,

WHAAAA !

-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel     1645699 May 20 21:04 kernel*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel     2236663 Feb 15  1999 kernel.GENERIC*

> even though I
> mostly just commented stuff out in the config file.  Is this normal, ie
> the original kernel is compressed or something?

I've never seen a kernel THAT big :)

Hope your console problem will be solved now...

ao
--
Jes: xntp is your friend. The evil empire of Redmond is not.
Evil Empire is a registered trademark of Ronald Reagan's sole