Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 17:16:28 -0400
From:      Aaron Jeremias Luz <aaron@csh.rit.edu>
To:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WHY? WAS:Clear screen before login...

On Mon, Sep 14, 1998 at 05:19:34PM -0400, Malartre wrote:
> [First reply snipped.]
> Why does it's not in the basic instalation of freebsd?
> I dont see why I should be able to read what people writed on the screen
> after they login off. Why is there the "choice" to be, well, "unsecure"?

You should be aware that clearing the screen still leaves text in
the console scroll back buffer (if enabled).  To clear that as
well, my '.bash_logout' is as follows.

   # If we are logging off from the console, erase the scroll back buffer
   # and clear the screen.  There is unfortunately no ioctl to get
   # history size.  Just force it to 100 for this vty.

   case `tty` in
      /dev/ttyv*) kbdcontrol -h 100 ; clear
   esac

Note that I'm only changing the scroll back buffer _size_.  Why this
has the side effect of _clearing_ the scroll back buffer is not clear
to me and probably cannot be relied upon to exist in future versions
of the console code.  (BTW, I'm using 2.2.5R.)

Aaron