Date:      Tue, 20 Dec 2022 19:22:00 +0100
From:      Tomek CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
To:        Doug Denault <doug@safeport.com>
Subject:   Re: running FreeBSD on an iMac

On Tue, Dec 20, 2022 at 7:02 PM Doug Denault wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2022, Tomek CEDRO wrote:
> > How about booting installer from USB image ?
>
> I have the USB I used to install my current workstations. The system does
> not recognize the format. But now that you say that, It is probably too
> large. I will make a bootonly image on a small USB thanks.
>
> Also I found the FreeBSD archives. They go back to 10.0. Down load those
> also. Aside from the stuff one learns doing things like this, the iMac will
> be a truly great workstation, assuming Xorg will work with the video card.
> Certainly not a given.

You can DD memstick or mini-memstick directly on FreeBSD to USB
Pendrive and it should boot :-)

https://download.freebsd.org/releases/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/13.1/

Alternatively you can also use USB Pendrive to boot various ISO images
from a boot menu that is possible with  Ventoy. You need to use Ventoy
installer on a blank Pendrive using windoze or linux installer, it
also have some neat features included, very handy tool :-)

https://www.ventoy.net/

Why not use latest release 13.1 (soon 13.2) on that machine?