Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2000 03:46:48 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Alwyn Schoeman <alwyns@littlecruncher.prizm.dhs.org>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: window manager question

On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 04:00:38PM +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Alwyn Schoeman wrote:
>
> >What do you mean when you say reducing writes to /?  Why?
>
> Traditionally, from what i know, the / partition is treated as sacred,
> and should be protected in the event of a crash.  If some app is
> writing to / and the OS crashes, your root partition may become
> corrupted.  So, by putting everything that gets written to in /usr (which
> should be a separate partition or even a different HD) then writes to the
> oh-so-important / partition are minimized.  In the event of a major crash,
> the root directory should still be operational, allowing the system to
> start and begin recovery procedures.

If you keep your /var, /usr and /tmp directories on other partitions,
making sure that nobody writes to your / filesystem is essentially the
first step towards mounting / as read-only.  The `noatime' option in
/etc/fstab is the next Good Thing(TM) usually.

This makes sure that whatever happens, at least your / filesystem will
not have to go through that dreaded fsck thing during system boot.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]