Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 1997 11:18:46 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: de driver problem

As Masafumi NAKANE/?$BCf:,2mJ8?(B wrote:

> And I get message like following very frequently.
>
> de0: receive: 00:00:a2:cb:5d:74: alignment error
>
> There are some ``bad crc'' as well.

I think they should be logged with log(LOG_DEBUG, ...)  (if at all).
printf'ing them is ridiculous, one of our servers is printing all
kernel hardware error messages on paper, using an old dot-matrix
printer, and while the paper consumption was rather low in the past,
it substantially grew up recently after switching the server to a
DEC-based card.  (We've also got two offenders in the company
occasionally sending bad packets, or maybe it's the cable wiring
that's poor in that floor.)

> And could someone give me some suggestion how I can find out what may
> be causing this?  (I've been playing with tcpdump and netstat in a
> hope that I may find some clue.  But so far, no luck.)

Sure, the driver has dropped the packets before they could reach BPF.

--
cheers, J"org