Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 17:22:06 +0500
From:      "David Alderman" <dave@persprog.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Triton I Triton II boot problem

SCO and Adaptec have been less than helpful on this problem so I
though I might ask here since the level of hardware knowledge is very
high in this group.

At work, we were trying to move an Adaptec 2940 w. hard disk from an
ASUS Triton I based motherboard to an ASUS P55T2P4 (HX chipset). We
are getting the following error messages:

> not a directory
>
> boot not found
> Cannot open
> Stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd(40)/boot

Note that both the controller and hard disk are the same - only the
motherboard has changed.  DOS > 1 GIG is off on both configurations.
An identical drive with SCO loaded from this machine works fine.

Any ideas?  I suspect it is a geometry problem but why does it change
if the adapter BIOS (and setup) is the same.  Is this some
spawned-in-hell PnP "feature"?

Please don't flame me - you know I do not use this OS by choice.
I'm FreeBSD friendly 8)

Thanks.
When philosophy conflicts with reality, choose reality.
Dave Alderman  -- dave@persprog.com