Date:      Wed, 06 Feb 2002 20:19:18 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        Joey Garcia <bear@unix.homeip.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange pkg_info error message - what's wrong with it?

Joey: If you look at my earlier postings over the past week about having
trouble getting the ports to install the proper version of Samba, I found I
had to use pkg_delete in /var/db/pkg to try and deinstall the older version
on my machine. I got the same error as you and could not deinstall (using
pkg_delete) until I deleted the existing samba port and recvsupped again.
This is in spite of the fact that my cron cvsups weekly to keep the ports
tree up to date.

I first got into the jam because the port did no install the version it was
supposed to. The distinfo file indicated that version samba-2.2.2 was going
to be installed. After looking at several CVS sites and being denied that
version, it gave up and installed an older version samba-2.0.10 from
samba.org. Yesterday, in a post, I showed the "fetching record". Thus the
port's distinfo on my machine still showed the 2.2.2 version, but 2.0.10
was installed. Then when it came to deinstall, it said sorry "not
installed". That's when I tried pkg_delete to get rid of the older version.
Deleting the port and recvsuping was the solution.

After pkg_deleting the old version, then I was able to install the latest
version of samba-2.2.3.

As with you, this is not a question, by rather an answer for others who may
have the same experience....

At 05:30 PM 2.6.2002 -0800, Joey Garcia wrote:

>Okay, so I cvsup'd my ports tree and the messages went away. Interesting.
>Anyways, I think what happened was that someone in my department cut the
>power to the machine when I was building some ports and it probably
>screwed something up. I didn't realize this until I actually went to the
>machine and turned on the monitor and saw that it had just finished
>booting. I was like wtf?!? Anyways, there's no more messages. But, if it
>happens to someone then at least this will be archived to help those out
>in the future.
>
>On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Joey Garcia wrote:
>

>> Okay, so I noticed that pkg_info is giving me a weird error message.  Here
>> is some output and an example of usage and the message that I get.
>>
>> [3:59pm] bear@ircla (~) # pkg_info -Ia | grep ethereal
>> pkg_info: unable to open +CONTENTS file
>> ethereal-0.9.1      An X11/GTK network analyzer/capture tool
>>
>> The second line after the actual command invocation gives a message
>> concerning the +CONTENTS file. I assumed that was the +CONTENTS file
>> located for each package in /var/db/pkg. I'm not sure why it's giving me
>> that error.
>>
>> This machine has been upgraded from 4.3-RELEASE to 4.5-RELEASE just the
>> other day. I've also taken the liberty of going into
>> /usr/src/usr.sbin/pkg_install and issuing a make install to try to
>> reinstall the pkg_* utilities.
>>
>> Not sure what other information to give you, but if you need more just ask
>> and I'll be happy to respond.
>>
>> Joseph Garcia

>> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin

Sage-American
http://www.sage-american.com
jacks@sage-american.com

"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat;
....situation excellent! ....I shall attack!"