Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2000 12:10:31 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/ too big?

Will Andrews wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 11:15:04AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> > *IF* people were to take this to ports@freebsd.org, they would have
> > learned there was a discussion about a month ago in which the conclusion
> > was to use one dir per port, but remove the subdirs w/in each ports
> > subdir.
>
> I haven't heard anything from Satoshi about this being in stone, so you
> aren't entirely correct..

	Unfortunately I'm behind on my mail so I missed this discussion, but I
certainly support the proposal to reduce the number of directories. I
would say at minimum files patches and scripts could be combined. I
would not like the idea of everything being in one directory, that seems
too cluttered for me, especially for ports with many patches.

	One additional suggestion that may be controversial is to eliminate the
non-english langauage ports from the ports-all CVS target, and from the
default ports installation. Obviously we would want to prominently
advertise the availability of these ports, and I don't want to even hint
at their removal. My point is simply that no one user is going to use
more than two or three of the non-english language ports, regardless of
their native language. Therefore it makes sense to download only the
ones you need. This would eliminate the need for cvsup refuse files
altogether for many...

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"