Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 10:27:25 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jehamby@lightside.com, hackers@freebsd.org, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BeBox mention of FreeBSD...

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:

> > Anyone who puts a BeBox on the 'factory floor' has rocks in their head.
> > The 'GeekPort' isn't up to any sort of serious industrial interfacing,
> > and the BeBox box wouldn't have a hope of survival.
>
> Actually, the BeOS has good RT support that FreeBSD lacks.  Coupled
> with the RS-485 capable ports, it's make an OK control box, though
> it seems more like a prototype set-top box than anything else to me.

I'm not knocking the BeOS - I know next to nothing about it.  I _did_
however spend a fair amount of time studying the available lit. on the
physical hardware, and it's another desktop box.  It's just not up to
surviving a 'factory floor' environment.  It needs an IP555 or better
case to start with, and a real power supply.

> I would have a hard time trusting the "geekport" because of the
> ISA interfacing logic used throughout... I wish they had used the

More of a worry is the lack of any sort of real isolation on the port.
One slip with your prototype and the motherboard is toast.  Not much
of an "experimenters' dream" if you ask me.

> So, "geekport" aside, I think that it would make a nice little
> embedded systems controller.

Too big.  Too expensive.

> I remember when IOmega was using Commodore 64's loaded from tape
> drives to run their optical interferometry hardware for their
> Zirconium bonding in their Bernoulli heads.  Don't underestimate
> cheap hardware with NMI-based scheduling.

I'm not.  But the Be isn't particularly cheap, and certainly isn't
particularly physically or electrically robust.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled diet of "CVS week".