Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 2004 11:41:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        keshav_tadimeti@yahoo.co.uk (=?iso-8859-1?q?Tadimeti=20Keshav?=)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: partition deletion and creation

> Hi list,
> I have freeBSD installed on my 40 GB HDD with the
> foll. layout:
> / = 512MB
> swap=1GB
> /var=512MB
> /tmp=512MB
> /usr=8GB
> /home=26GB
> (It should roughly total to the max available ~37GB)
> I want to have /home resized to 20GB and then create 4
> mount points /u01=3GB,/u02=2GB,/u03=512MB,/u04=512MB.
>
> I have 2 options:
> 1. using /stand/sysinstall-->fdisk to delete /home,
> create the new partitions, and then mount the
> mount-points. Q=will this format all older partitions
> (/usr,/...), forcing me to reinstall FreeBSD again?
> Clearly I don't want this. I have spent quite a while
> to get the setup running.

I believe that /stand/sysinstall treats the whole disk as new
and will build file systems on all partitions rather than just
partitions that have been tinkered with.

I could well be wrong and /stand/sysinstall could be more sophisticated
than I think, but I wouldn't bank on it short of going through the code.

////jerry