Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 1999 14:41:55 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <wotan@fosburgh.dyndns.org>
To:        Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
Cc:        MW <mw74@bigpond.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KSCD crashing under FreeBSD 3.1

On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Vallo Kallaste wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 02, 1999 at 10:56:48PM +1000, MW <mw74@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> > Ive just installed FreeBSD 3.1 (RELEASE) from the 4 CDROM set
> > I installed the KDE 1.1 package that came with it
> > Everything works ok except when i try to run KSCD the window pops up and closes again straight away
> > It also gives a core dump
> > All the other K applications work
> > Ive set the CDROM device to have rw permissions for all users and created a link from the CDROM device (/dev/acd0c) to /dev/cdrom
> > Can you please suggest what is wrong
>
> The kscd application tries to access "wrong" device, if I remember it's
> some kind of proprietary cd-rom device, matcd. This device is
> hard-coded in some way, I got the rid of that by fetching
> kdemultimedia-1.1, configuring the port and then you can find a
> kscd-script under ....work/kdemultimedia-1.1/kscd directory. Execute
> the script just before building the kscd application and you are set.
> Perhaps somebody can explain a cleaner way and why the port is as it
> is. I mean the IDE cdroms are much more common than the proprietary
> ones.
> --

I have done this but kscd never plays the CD. It finds the CDDB entry
fine, but hitting play just causes it to spin the disc then say ejected or
stopped (not at the machine now so I can't say which).  Can I assume you
got it to work? Is this something that could be specifically a hardware
problem? The drive is 1 40x Digital Research drive. Works fine for what
little use I have made of data CD's, and cdcontrol works just fine, but of
the X cd players, only xcd has given me any success.  This is 3.1-STABLE,
probably close to a month old by now.

Incidently, playing the Cd by pressing the play button on the drive
or using cdcontrol causes kscd (and the GNOME cd player) to see that the
cd is playing, but I still cannot select tracks without causing the cd to
stop with behaviour similar to what I described above.

Jonathan Fosburgh
Geotechnician
Snyder Oil Corporation
Houston, TX