Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2000 11:06:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      papowell@astart.com
To:        doc@freebsd.org, nik@freebsd.org
Cc:        ceren@magnesium.net, dgl@bsdi.com, hackers@freebsd.org, jim@cdrom.com, jkh@freebsd.org, murray@bsdi.com, papowell@astart.com, ryan@ryan.net, wpaul@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Documentation selection in sysinstall

>   2.  We need to find a UI model that allows the user to efficiently
>       select the language and formats they want to install.
>
> 	I'm thinking of initially presenting a dialog box that looks
> 	like this:
>
> 	------------------------------------------------------------
>
> 	Documentation is available in the following languages:
>
> 	     English
> 	     Spanish
> 	     French
> 	     Japanese
> 	     Chinese
>
> 	------------------------------------------------------------
>
> 	with the list extending as necessary, based on what sysinstall
> 	found on the FTP site.  After the user has chosen a language, then
> 	present them with a list like this:
>
> 	------------------------------------------------------------
>
> 	Now choose the documentation you would like to install, and
> 	the formats you would like to use.
>
>                           HTML   HTML    Text   PS   PDF   PDB  RTF
> 			           Split
> 	Books
>
> 	Handbook            [ ]    [X]     [ ]    [ ]  [ ]   [ ]  [ ]
> 	FAQ                 [X]    [X]     [ ]    [ ]  [ ]   [ ]  [ ]
> 	Porter's Handbook   [ ]    [ ]     [ ]    [X]  [ ]   [ ]  [ ]
>
> 	[... and so on ...]

You actually have a sparsly populated three dimensional array here.

Documentation[ material,  language, format ]

Exmample:
     Documentation[ Handbook, EN, HTML ]
     Documentation[ Handbook, EN, HTMLSplit ]
     Documentation[ Handbook, JA, HTMLSplit ]

Suggestion:
    Use a LIST of preferences for language:  ja,de,...,en
    use the first one that you find in order of preference, default
    is 'en' ... ???

    You specify the language preference

     Preferred language:
      en[*]  ja[1]  de[2]

     (Don't ask me how you do this with the current sysinstall tools!)

Suggestion:
     Select the set of media/format you want

     HTML   Split HTML    Text   PS   PDF   PDB  RTF

This is pretty simple to set up and do,  and is similar to how a lot
of other documentation packages are structured.

Only my opinion of course.

Patrick