Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 16:54:13 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@icsmx.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Load Balancing ....

Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@icsmx.com> types:
> I'm running FreeBSD 3.2 with apache without problems. I decided to have 2
> machines running my sites and use load balancing on my radios. It is
> working very good. Actually I FTP all the new information on both servers
> when I need to make changes.
>
> I'm not a FreeBSD expert but learning and I was wondering if you could give
> me your advice on how to have both machines updated identical the
> best way.

The best way to do this is make the process of copying to *both*
systems an automatic part of distribution system. A crude mechanism
would be to set up an "install" shell script on the test server that
arranged to copy things to both servers. That's a bit error-prone
though.

What I do for my clients is to integrate things into the source
control system. There are two branches in that system - test and
production. The systems running servers have a script that updates the
server to the appropriate branch once a minute. This requires a source
control system that can do that efficiently - particularly in the case
where there have been no changes made.

If your site search engine can delete from and add individual pages to
the index, then you can have the same scripts parse the udpate report
and tweak the index, thus keeping the search engines index in sync
with the two servers.

	<mike