Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 21:18:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Steve <toopesky@usa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sound card problem

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Steve wrote:

>Please let me know if it is inappropriate to direct this sort of inquiry
>to this address. I am a freeBSD newbie.

This is the right place.

>When I use the 'sbxvi0' device it returns 'sbxvi0 not found' during boot
>up
>
>so finally then I tried this line:
>
>    device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 5 vector sbintr
>
>using the 'sb0' device seems to work. It detects 'Sound Blaster 16'
>during the boot sequence, and continues with drive mounting, etc.
>however, when I try to execute an application that uses the sound card
>('MPG123') it returns the following error:
>
>    DMA timed out. IRQ/DRQ conflict?

>    device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 5 vector sbintr

Don't forget...

options "SBC_IRQ=5"

Also, I would try "drq 1" instead of 5.

This info is on the website in the handbook under the section for
compiling your own kernel.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/
JW2691			|	206-633-5994