Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 10:54:58 -0800
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Thomas Nystrom <thn@saeab.se>, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fix for hanging of vr interface (Rhine Ethernet)

>     I have noticed that video takes appreciable ram bandwidth on =

>     this EPIA5000.  In 1024x768 @ 70KHz / 24bpp (32bpp frame buffer),
>     a busy cpu can glitch the screen. =

> =

>     I think the EPIA BIOS may not be setting up PCI latency timers
>     properly in my case.  I'll bet workstations with faster memory
>     busses do better.  There may not be anything that can be done
>     in the VR driver.

Hmm. I wonder. Have you tried this, and does it help?:

http://www.mini-itx.com/faq.asp#Linux1

	3.2. What should I do if I have poor quality sound (pops, clicks and =

squeaks) - particularly when dragging or scrolling windows?

    This is caused by X writing blindly to the video card's instruction =

queue without checking to see if the queue is full. This will lock the =

PCI bus for about 40 - 50 audio cycles, causing pops, clicks and =

squeaks. The via82cxxx_audio driver is still somewhat fragile, so it is =

possible that some applications will fault ungracefully if the bus is =

disrupted badly enough (e.g. with SDL applications).

	You can make X play nice with the PCI bus by adding Option "PciRetry" =

"true" to the "Device" stanza. Nasty pops and glitches will go away, and =

system stability will be much improved.

Cheers,

AS