Date:      Mon, 24 May 2004 16:41:41 +0100
From:      Chris Elsworth <chris@shagged.org>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why is MySQL nearly twice as fast on Linux?

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 11:29:35AM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2004, Chris Elsworth wrote:
>
> In otherwords you see very little gain when switching from MyISAM
> to InnoDB tables in (native) Linux.

Yeah, pretty much. The extra couple of hundred on InnoDB are probably
InnoDBs superior locking abilities, but any real gain it provides are
nulled by the extra logging it has to do. Either way, not a 50% gain.

> Any chance of doing the same on FreeBSD?

Not on this Xeon I'm afraid, I'm out of testing time and it's being
taken to a datacentre on Wednesday for live use. However, we are
looking at purchasing an Opteron with an approximate spend of
£3500UKP, and I'm perfectly happy to devote a few weeks of testing
time on that before it starts doing anything useful.

It's not a port - http://jeremy.zawodny.com/mysql/super-smack/

--
Chris