Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 1998 08:45:19 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@rust.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   async hardwired connection

Hello,

After three days of searching the archives, I'm giving up and writing in.
I refuse to believe that nobody's done this before...

I'm trying to connect a FreeBSD box into a Livingston async port.  This is
to replace an existing 486 FreeBSD machine wired up in this manner.

I've copied the working machine's setup exactly into the new machine.
This setup consists of:

a shell script (called from rc.local) that does:

#! /bin/sh
while (true)
do
/usr/sbin/pppd -detach cuaa0 115200
/bin/sleep 10
done

An options file:

crtscts silent defaultroute 206.153.73.229:206.153.73.36 netmask 255.255.255.252

A stty -a -f /dev/cuaa0 on each machine gives identical output, so I'm
fairly sure the port is configured properly.

ppp is compiled in the kernel.

Any thoughts on what I should check next?  What am I missing?