Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 2015 08:59:39 +0000
From:      Matt Churchyard <matt.churchyard@userve.net>
To:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Invalid subnet masks

Hello,

Just been helping someone on the forums who appears to have configured thei=
r network interface incorrectly. It looks like they've assigned 250.250.250=
.0 as the netmask.
I've tried assigning this netmask on a 10.1 machine and ifconfig happily ac=
cepts it.

Is there any reason why FreeBSD accepts this value as a netmask? I'm fairly=
 well versed in IPv4, although not a real expert, but I see no reason why s=
uch a mask would be used.

Testing on my Win8.1 workstation, it gets rejected telling me the mask must=
 be contiguous (i.e. all 1's then 0's), as I would expect.

Regards,
Matt Churchyard