Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 2003 14:41:47 -0500
From:      "Trevor S. Cornpropst" <tcornpropst@cox.net>
To:        "DJ Boris" <dj_boris@mail.ru>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: how can I stop named to dial out at startup

On Sunday 16 March 2003 13:16, DJ Boris wrote:
> I have supress-initial-notify set to yes as well... no change.
> my DNS forwarders do require a dial out to reach but I don't see why this
> should happen when I start up named.
> Up until now I was using a Windows NT4 server and I had a programme called
> WinRoutePro http://www.infoware.be/en/winroute/index.htm. I was using its
> DNS forwarder, its proxy server and its mail server to download mail from
> one ISP account with 5 alised email addresses and then users could collect
> it from the NT4 machine using a POP3 client.
> now I am trying to do all this with a freeBSD box. none of this was
> happening on the NT4 machine with WinRoutePro and that is why I am
> confused. I do want DNS forwarding to trigger DNS requests but why is it
> happening when I start named. I don't shutdown my DNS server often. this is
> just one little thing that is very annoying and I thought it was something
> small that I was missing.
>
> the reason that I start named manually and not from rc.conf is because if I
> put it in rc.conf the machine hangs at startup and I have to do Crtl-C in
> otder to get to the login prompt. when I disable it in rc.conf everything
> is OK... I presume is it because named tries to dial as soon as it starts
> when the machine hasn't started all its services.... (I might be wrong
> about this one) so this is a workaround. or may be it is something else
> ?!?!?

Apologies, I didn't understand your problem in the first reply. You are
correct "dialup yes" in your named.conf is not going to help as you are only
runnlng a caching server, so you won't need to do zone transfers.

I'm thinking your named is trying to sort some things out when it starts,
hence the hang. Do you have anything in /etc/hosts or /etc/resolv.conf? BB
(before broadband) I used to run a similar configuration but I always defined
an internal zone for my network and never experienced this type of hang.
Other than that, my config was always straight forward. (i.e. set up my
internal zone, forward all other requests to my ISP)

Trevor Cornpropst