Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 07:15:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Benjamin Gavin <virtual_olympus@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multi-provider load balancing

Also, and perhaps I should be more clear:

1.  I am load-balancing outbound connections from an internal
(non-routable) network.
2.  There are hardware solutions that do this.
3.  There are Windows based programs that do this.

I will look into that probability stuff for ipfw, thus far it looks
promising.  My only concern is that packets coming back in get redirected
to the correct natd process, but I can probably control that by using a
slightly modified ruleset.

Also, the rest of the internet sees my outgoing connections as generating
from two separate endpoints.  I'm not trying to provide access to internal
web sites, DNS, etc through these connections, so I fail to see how
assymetric routing would have anything to do with this.  I've also checked
with a couple people who are addmittedly more versed in TCP/IP and routing
and they seemed to think that it would be possible to set something up as
I propose.

  I understand the purpose of BGP, but I just don't think it applies in my
case.  This is for a simple home network, and every home network in the
world is hardly going to apply for an AS number if this type of thing is
going to be widespread (nor can they afford to buy expensive hardware
solutions).

Thanks again,
Ben