Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 01:02:18 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, imp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: today's kernel + JHB's trap.c patch is *evil*

Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> John Baldwin writes:
>  > As to why the 4100 hasn't seen this, it may be that the slower CPU's are
>  > preventing this race from happening, or that 21164's use a stricter memory
>  > ordering than 21264's.  I've seen similar issues where my dual P3 600 woul
>  > have problems when my dual PPro 200 wouldn't.
>  >

> 21264s are the first alpha to do out of order execution.  Perhaps this
> has something to do with it.
>
> FWIW, my UP1000 that I gripe about -current stability problems on is a
> 21264 also..

I have a UP2000 in a 'while true make world' loop.  It is a 21264 based
system SMP, and it has done more than 50 loops in a row now.  (Some were
cut short due to the libss breakage, but it does a 'make world' in 57
minutes and has been running since friday).

I did turn off SMP though since it wedged the ahc scsi controller once.
It has been rock solid since then.

I'm going to see about making this more available.

Cheers,
-Peter