Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 2003 02:00:45 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Modern PCI graphic cards?

Anybody have any recent experience with a modern PCI graphics card?

I'm finally moving from CRT to a flat panel display, and the old
4MB Matrox Mystique in my PC164 doesn't cut it for 1280x1024 in
true color.  Also, DVI would be nice.  Obviously I'm not looking
for 3D acceleration performance, any low end card is likely to be
total overkill already.

I picked up a "Hercules 3D Prophet 9000" (ATI Radeon 9000) but my
PC164 wouldn't even pass its initial hardware test with that card
inserted.  An old Pentium-I PC wouldn't recognize the card either,
so maybe it's just a dud, or maybe my machines are just too ancient.

Anyway, while I'm returning the card, any recommendations?