Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 1995 14:54:19 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>, jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: shared library versioning

> > > I didn't see a bump, but as a result of this change, it should be.
> >
> > So instead of said binaries failing catastrophically on a link
> > error, they just fail to find the library in question and fail
> > catastrophically on a missing library?
> >
> > I somehow fail to see the point.
>
> So do I.
> This will make >ALL< 2.1 binaries fail on a 2.0 system, leaving the
> version number as it was would only have a few 2.1 binaries (as of yet
> nonexistent ones) fail on a 2.0 system.

And rightly so.  If we want to use shlibs, you need to pay the price of
compatability.  Having *most* of the binaries work is not acceptable when
all the binaries will work is simple and only wastes space.

If folks want to run 2.1 binaries on their 2.1 machines, then they need
the 2.1 libraries as well.  They go hand in hand.  (Assuming the ld
changes don't bite them).  If they want, they can delete the 2.0
libraries as so far all of them are un-necessary and can be replaced by
the 2.1 versions.

You can't have it both ways.

Nate