Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 1995 15:42:45 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, gary@palmer.demon.co.uk, paul@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netware gateway.

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:

> > IIRC, the desire was to connect a pile of WfW boxes on a Novell network to
> > the 'net, not to bridge two Novell networks across the 'net.
> >
> > Using IPX/SPX for any part of this is a Bad Idea, on the KISS principle.
>
> Unless you go TCP on the WFWG boxes, which is ruled out by the address
> assignment restrictions, I think the WFWG<-->TCP gateway transactions
> will be IPX by definition.

Um. What address restrictions?  If the IP all happens on a private network
and everything is proxied, what assignment restrictions are there?

> running their NetBIOS/OSI stack?  This is what is needed, except it
> wants to front end as if it were plain vanilla WinSock.

You can do this with the standard WfW stack, even mixing NetBEUI and IP
on the same wire from the same machine.  Why involve any more complication
than is actually necessary?

> 					Terry Lambert

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[