Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 1997 10:32:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mixed results w/ WinCast/TV

On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Randall Hopper wrote:

> I modified dtv to do this as well as do direct-video in a movable/resizable
> X window.  It also treats 555 16bpp just like 15bpp as far as the visual
> detection stuff goes, so it'll work in 1024x768 16bpp (I too prefer running
> at this res):
>
>        http://users.multiverse.com/~rhh/dtv

OK, this works much better, BUT still doesn't like 16 bit mode.  (says
"unsupported depth: try 15 or 24bit").  In 24 bit mode, I can actually
move the window around and my cursor is still there :)

Hm, found out I've been running around in 8 bit mode.  No wonder I was
running out of colors so fast!  :)

>  |I have this sinking feeling that direct tv may not work because of the
>  |Mach64.  Maybe I should budget this weekend trying to extract the S3 968
>  |from the P166 and not crash Win95 in the process...:)
>
> Hmmm.  According to the Hauppage page, should work OK with the Mach64 for
> RGB transfers to the frame buffer.  Are you using a Pro Turbo or an
> Expression (VRAM or DRAM is what I'm curious about)?

Pro Turbo, VRAM.