Date:      Tue, 13 Dec 2016 12:37:03 +0200
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Hrant Dadivanyan <hrant@dadivanyan.net>
Cc:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: system time instability

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 11:33:59PM +0400, Hrant Dadivanyan wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 11:04:08PM +0400, Hrant Dadivanyan wrote:
> > > Now, when you ask, I start to suspect PPS delivery to uart again - cable
> > > and amplifier, but can't understand how the 100ppm error fits into that.
> >
> > If you disable PPS sync in ntp config, does the machine keep time adequately ?
> >

> Thanks for reminding - yes, I've tried this as well, the issue persists.
> So uart shouldn't be in charge.
>
> > There might be relatively long pauses when system management mode handlers
> > do something in response to hw events.  E.g. if you have USB emulation of
> > AT keyboard enabled in BIOS, try to disable that.  And update the BIOS.
>
> The USB is switched off in the BIOS. I've removed all changes in sysctl.conf
> and nice flag from ntpd, recompiled kernel as following:
> include         GENERIC
> options         PPS_SYNC
> device          pf
> device          pflog
> and started over. Dmesg is attached.

Please show verbose dmesg.

> CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E4500  @ 2.20GHz (2194.55-MHz K8-class CPU)

This is relatively old CPU which is known to have some (minor) issues with
interaction between power saving and cores.  Try the following OS config:
disable deep C states, allow only C1 (there might be some tweaks in BIOS,
if possible, disable the Cn, n > 1, there too);
use LAPIC for event timer (not HPET);
re-check that you use RDTSC for the timecounter;
do not enable powerd.

You might also try the stable/11 kernel, which has more changes WRT C-states
handling and PPS/ntp locking.