Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 22:19:37 -0400
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   spontaneous reboots in 4.0-STABLE (gotcha)

Ok, I posted some panic messages awhile ago that appeared to go largely
unnoticed.  I just got it again (this time while running in X) and I
was able to capture them via serial console.  I will separate this
message into 'fact', 'observation', and 'speculation':

Fact:

1) This was the same panic as before (when just running on console).
2) Panic is as follows:
> panic: clist reservation botch
> mp_lock = 00000001; cpuid = 0; lapic.id = 01000000
> Debugger("panic")
> panic: clist reservation botch
> mp_lock = 00000003; cpuid = 0; lapic.id = 01000000
> boot() called on cpu#0
> Uptime: 12h14m52s
> Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
> Rebooting...
> cpu_reset called on cpu#0
> cpu_reset: stopping other CPUs
3) This was running a -STABLE as of today
4) This is a SMP machine with SMP Kernel (2 CPUs)
5) Machine is USB, with USB console keyboard, USB mouse
6) attempting to 'control-alt-escape' into the debugger will sometimes hard-lock the system in the debugger mode.
7: running vinum on 1 SCSI and 2 IDE drives

Observations:
1) Appears much more likely if the system bus is busy
2) break to debugger hard-locking the system becomes more likely (to a 100%
   probability) the longer the system runs.  (this is measured in minutes,
   if I were to try to enter it now, 25minutes after boot, it would lock)

Speculations:
1) It appears to be a race condition of some sort in the USB code, perhaps
   not setting the correct SPL level before branching to the tty routines
   (for atkbdc it appears automagically set for you, with no such magic
   for USB that I can find)

If anyone needs additional information (configuration hasn't changed since the
earlier message), please ask.

--
David Cross                               | email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Lab Director                              | Rm: 308 Lally Hall