Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2018 18:11:25 +0100
From:      Stilez Stilezy <stilezy@gmail.com>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS dedup write pathway - possible inefficiency or..?

Thanks Andriy,

That does suck, but it's how bugs are.  I'm using 10G and dedup, so even
with good hardware the test case is definitely piling on the incoming data
and workload during writes, probably as fast as the OS can take it, or a
little more. Without dedup it flies, though. Hard to disentangle what's
dedup overhead and what's dedup write bug, though, or to get an idea which
is responsible for how much of the problem.

As I don't know Illumos/OpenZFS's track record with bugs, is this likely to
get attention/resolved "at some time this year" or is it a "who knows, bugs
take forever, could be still here in 5 years time"? Is it helpful if I
nudge and offer a "causing a problem" note on their bug tracker? Perhaps
it's worth it in case it gives extra data? What do you reckon?

Last, if I have high data rates but want to minimise the dirty data issue,
wcan you suggest broadly, how to customise the dirty data/caching
sysctls/loaders, to try and mitigate the impact (get best possible handling
without losing 99% of throughput or sky-high latency?).

I understand from your reply that there's no recipes in debugging, but any
suggestions at all which way to try for at least some mitigation, or which
values might be worth experimenting with, to reduce the effect of the
problem pathway?

Stilez