Date:      Sat, 5 Feb 2005 12:38:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Wehle <john@feith.com>
To:        steven@403forbidden.net
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware recommendations for MythTV/FreeBSD

> It works but I wish I could alter the bit rate the pvr card outputs
> at, 10mbit resolution creates 4gig/hr files at full NTSC size.

Simply modify dvd_ntsc_profile in cxm.c, recompile, and reload the module.
Some suggested bitrate values are:

	{ 0, 9000000, 9520000 }, /* 1 hour on 4.7 GB media */
	{ 0, 4000000, 4520000 }, /* 4 hours on 8.54 GB media */

> Also anyone solved the "encoder dma not enough buffer space free" error or
> even why it occurs?

It indicates the application isn't consuming the data fast enough.
In the case of mplayer some options are:

  a) Better video card.  Personally I like the ATI Radeon cards.

  b) Better Xserver (i.e. XFree86 4.4) which supports using the
     video card hardware for things like colorspace conversion
     and MPEG motion compensation.  This is of course assuming
     your video card has hardware for those sorts of things.

  c) Faster processor.

  d) More memory (only if your machine is actually swapping).

  e) Modify mplayer to implement application real time buffering
     using METEORSSIGNAL (basically copy libmpdemux/tvi_bsdbt848.c
     to libmpdemux/tvi_bsdcxm.c and start hacking) or try increasing
     CXM_SG_BUFFERS.  This only helps if the problem is due to large
     bursts of data ... it will not help if your machine is simply
     not fast enough to keep up with the average data rate.

  f) Enable MPlayer's frame drop option (more of a workaround
     than a solution).

BTW using:

  $ cat /dev/cxm0 | mplayer -

causes the machine to do more work than:

  $ mplayer /dev/cxm0

-- John
|   Feith Systems  |   Voice: 1-215-646-8000  |  Email: john@feith.com  |
|    John Wehle    |     Fax: 1-215-540-5495  |                         |