Date:      Sun, 2 Nov 1997 23:50:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Paul Floyd -NETMANSYS- <Paul.Floyd@netmansys.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Configuration questions.

On Sun, 2 Nov 1997, Paul Floyd -NETMANSYS- wrote:

> Here are my questions:
> I have a UK keyboard (most of the time). I see I should use the
> kdbcontrol command to change the keyboard mapping. How do I
> make this automatic on boot up?

Check out /etc/sysconfig, there should be hooks in there to set up your
keyboard.  At worst you can stick them in /etc/rc.local.

> Is there a keyboard mapping for Quebecois keyboards? (Cos I
> f*!&ing can't stand French AZERTY kbds).

Dunno, I'm not a pro at international configurations.

> My /usr partition is almost full, yet my swap is usually almost
> empty. Is there any painless way to extend the /usr partition?
> I have Partition Magic, so I can shrink my adjacent DOS partition
> at will, but PM won't handle FreeBSD sub partitions.

You'll have to create a new slice, disklabel, and newfs it.  I suppose you
could try to use sysinstall to get at the new slice.  See
http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/diskformat/ for some examples of what
you'll need to do.  It's not explicitly documented so you're on your own.

> How can I get the window manager to use something other than
> 640x480, 16 colours, 60Hz, as the default config for XFree86?
> This is an S3 805 with 1M VRAM.

Edit /etc/XF86Config and make sure the Depth settings are right, then edit
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers to start the local console with the -bpp
## flag, where ## is the desired bit depth.

> The default window manager is not a pretty sight. I use CDE at
> work, and am most familiar with the OS/2 WPS UI. Any suggestions
> for a wm I might be more able to live with?

The closest thing I can think of to WPS is a Winblows95 emulator.  MS
lifted most of the WPS interface bits for the new Windows.  WPS does have
some nice features that would be hard to implement in a window manager,
though.  If I ever get the time and the will again I might program one up.

> What are the issues involved with upgrading to the latest FreeBED?
> Remember, I'm likely to have to take any downloads home by the
> caseload of floppies. (I'm more keen to upgrade gcc from 2.6.3 I
> have to 2.7.x).

Going from 2.1.0 -> 2.2.1 is a pretty major change.  I'd backup everything
important and try it by booting the new boot floppy and selecting
`upgrade.'  The biggest change is the move from sysconfig to /etc/rc.conf.

I don't think there are any at the moment.  Check http://www.cdrom.com.

> At work I use ksh. I've seen on the web page that there is a pdksh,
> I've also used bash. Anyone care to comment on the merits of pdksh
> and bash? I could learn to live with sh or csh.

Scripting and stylistic differences, mainly.  Use what you're used to. :)

> How do I go about changing the "network" name of the machine (even
> though it is isolated, the default myname@myhost, if I remember
> correctly wouldn't be my first choice.

/etc/sysconfig and look for the `hostname' keyword.