Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 1997 02:07:23 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      oliver.fromme@heim3.tu-clausthal.de (Oliver Fromme)
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        batie@aahz.jf.intel.com
Subject:   Re: onboard sound problem

Alan Batie wrote:
 > I've got a new Dell Dimension XPS H266; it's got onboard sound, as shown
 > below.  The problem is that when I try to play sounds (using xanim or splay),
 > the sound comes in spurts --- a half second of sound, a one second pause,
 > a half second of sound, etc.  I disabled the lpt port, noticing that the
 > irq's conflicted, but it made no difference.  The error says it's DMA that's
 > failing anyhow...  Thoughts?
 > [...]
 > Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
 > Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
 > Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

I had exactly the same problem, using an AWE32 on IRQ 7.
Disabling the lpt port on the mainboard doesn't help, since
FreeBSD's driver still seems to get the wrong interrupt
requests.

I solved the problem by switching the lpt port to I/O polled
mode, i.e. in your kernel config file, change the following
line
   device   lpt0   at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr
to something like this:
   device   lpt0   at isa? port? tty
Then recompile and install your kernel and reboot.

Switching the soundcard or lpt port to different IRQ numbers
should also solve the problem, but that's not always possible,
and I prefer having them on "standard" IRQs.

By the way, switching the lpt port to I/O polled mode didn't
have a noticable effect on printing speed.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18-61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany