Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 98 08:53:37 EST
From:      luoqi@watermarkgroup.com (Luoqi Chen)
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, mckusick@mcKusick.com
Subject:   softupdates allocindir panic

Just had this panic myself. I studied the core dump a little bit. I found
something interesting. The relevent piece of code around the crash is
static void
setup_allocindir_phase2(bp, ip, aip)
        struct buf *bp;         /* in-memory copy of the indirect block */
        struct inode *ip;       /* inode for file being extended */
        struct allocindir *aip; /* allocindir allocated by the above routines */
{
        for (indirdep = NULL, newindirdep = NULL; ; ) {
		newindirdep->ir_saveddata = (ufs_daddr_t *)bp->b_data;
                newindirdep->ir_savebp =
                    getblk(ip->i_devvp, bp->b_blkno, bp->b_bcount, 0, 0);
                bcopy((caddr_t)newindirdep->ir_saveddata,
                    newindirdep->ir_savebp->b_data, bp->b_bcount);
        }
}

Obviously, the getblk() call assumes VOP_BMAP has been performed, and b_blkno
points to device relative block. But upon examining the core, I got
b_blkno = b_lblkno (= -12). The same is true for dumps posted on -current.
We probably should call VOP_BMAP before getblk() for the blkno == lblkno case.

-lq