Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2007 07:44:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum" <bg271828@yahoo.com>
To:        Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fonts, windows too large after 2.20 upgrade

Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz> wrote: Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
> Im not quite sure if im explaining this right, but i just upgraded Gnome (along with)
> a number of other things) to 2.20 on a FreeBSD 6.2 system. Several things are
> visually messed up. All the system fonts are displaying extremely large, whether
> in the title bar, in a Terminal window, in Firefox tabs, etc. And i think the windows
> themselves (the ones connected to specifically Gnome apps at least) are also
> larger: im pretty sure that Terminal is larger than it used to be.

As far as I understand it, 2.20 uses a new font type compared 2.18
(anti-aliased vs bitmap).  I had some other issues after the upgrade,
and removed my existing .gnome2, .gnome2_provate, .gnome, .gconf, .
gconfd, .fontconfig and .metacity directories - this resulted in
respectable looking fonts again...

Now there is hopefully a less drastic way to proceed... may just
removing .fontconfig may sort it?

On the I've seen suggestions about changing DPI setting from 99->96 in
Preferences->Appearance->Fonts->Details. Initially I tried this and
things looked better.

Cheers

Mark

Ah, thank's--i tried removing .fontconfig which didnt work. But then i looked at
the Fonts -> Details, which i hadn t seen before, and its that it was up to 125 per
inch! So i knocked this back down to 96 and it looks exactly the same as before.

Thank you! All back to normal.

Jen