Date:      Sat, 2 May 1998 15:37:44 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        dkelly@HiWAAY.net (David Kelly)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DLT or AIT?

David Kelly wrote:

> If the AIT drive will use (in addition to the AIT tapes) the very common
> cheap 8mm digital tapes then the AIT would be an easy choice for me over
> the DLT. There are lots of backup jobs that "only" require 5G ($6 tape)
> that might not be done if you had to dig for a $40 tape.

According to Seagate's AIT FAQ, they can't.  :-(

(http://www.seagate.com/support/tape/scsiide/sidewinder/faqs/ait_faq1.shtml)

The reverse, however, is sometimes possible:  Apparently "standard" 8mm
drives can read AIT tapes, if those tapes were recorded without the AIT
drive's hardware compression.

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878