Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 08:40:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      daniel B <danielb@pacex.net>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@FreeBSD.org.uk>
Cc:        alvermark@teligent.se, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dial-out server?

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Brian Somers wrote:

> > Hi!
> >
> > I have a lot of users using a modem to dial out to various locations. Up
> > til now I've had one machine with FreeBSD and a modem to do the job. Very
> > simple setup, I use the userland ppp with the -auto option. Problem is
> > that it can only be used to reach one destination at a time and I have to
> > manually quit ppp and start it with another setting whenever the user(s)
> > want it to reach another destination I'm now thinking of setting up a
> > dedicated server for this, with maybe 3 or 4 modems.
> >
> > I was wondering if I can make ppp (or some other program) to pick a modem
> > thats not in use automatically, as there will be more "destinations" than
> > modems.
>
> How about
>
>   set device /dev/cuaa0 /dev/cuaa1 /dev/cuaa2 /dev/cuaa3
>
> Ppp will attempt to lock each in order and will use the first one it
> manages to lock.  Locking is standard across all (standard) programs
> - see uucplock(3).
>
> > Or do you know about any good hardware to do this, that's not too
> > expensive.
> >
> > I'm thinking about something like a box with an incoming ISDN PRI, a
> > number of modems, and then a FreeBSD box with a multiport card. But I
> > don't know if such hardward exists...
 Yea! we have such a setup like you've just mentioned but a RAS with a
PRI interface and modems is not cheap! 8K+ is what you're looking at.
You could go with modem racks that has biuilt-in terminal servers and that
simply connect to your FBSD network and talk IP, users just telnet to the
rack and get IP/PPP/SLIP sessions.

Dan