Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:19:41 -0500
From:      "Oliver, Michael W." <oliver.michael@gargantuan.com>
To:        'Ceri ' <setantae@submonkey.net>, 'Odhiambo Washington ' <wash@wananchi.com>
Cc:        "'questions@FreeBSD.org '" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: IPFW/Dummynet - Internet Access

Wash,

You can configure multiple VLANs within one switch, I do it all the time.
Unfortunately, I cannot quote the exact configuration commands here to you,
as I have never worked with 29xx series swithes.  I use 19xx and 5xxx series
switches.  Anyway, I just googled for stuff on 802.1q trunking with FreeBSD,
and it definitely looks possible.

If you do not want to configure trunking, you _might_ be able to get away
with using a SPAN port on the switch, but (once again) that depends on the
OS on the 29xx allowing that SPAN port to push traffic back to your clients.
On the 19xx series (IOS-based), a SPAN port attached device can (by default)
transmit data back into the switch, whereas a 5xxx series (set-based) SPAN
port only listens (by default, which can be over-ridden).  This is hack-ish,
and I wouldn't recommend it.

This sounds like a challenge, and I just might play with this a little bit
today..... thanks for the idea :-)

Let me know if I can be of further support.  HTH....

Michael W. Oliver, CCNP