Date:      18 Aug 2004 22:53:35 -0400
From:      Mike Jeays <Mike.Jeays@rogers.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Fwd: Re: licensing]

--=-P2JUzXX9Caq7qHPApUe+

I omitted sending this reply to Chris to the list by mistake. Please
correct me if I am wrong.

--=-P2JUzXX9Caq7qHPApUe+

Subject: Re: licensing
From: Mike Jeays <Mike.Jeays@rogers.com>
To: Chris Knipe <savage@savage.za.org>
Date: 18 Aug 2004 20:33:16 -0400

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 11:06, Chris Knipe wrote:
> Quick question....
>
> I'm not sure about the license that FreeBSD falls under.  Are we allowed to modify code (specifically /sbin/natd) and resell it commercially as part of a product??
>
> Secondly, natd runs via divert in usermode.  Is there something similar in kernel mode?  Kernelmode will obviously operate allot faster than usermode...
>
> --
> me

My understanding of the BSD license is that you can sell applications
that include code licensed under it, modified or not, and you don't have
to distribute the modified source code.  This is what happened with the
Mac OS X operating system.

This is of course NOT true for GNU/GPL-licensed software - that is the
whole point of the difference. There, you can modify it and sell it, but
you must distribute or make available at a low price your modifications
in source code form. Much software that accompanies FreeBSD is licensed
under the GPL, but the FreeBSD OS is BSD licensed.  Check the license
carefully for the components you are interested in.

If I am wrong, there will be lots of corrections from the other list
members.

--=-P2JUzXX9Caq7qHPApUe+--