Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 1996 20:31:04 -0400
From:      Craig Shrimpton <craigs@os.com>
To:        Jeffrey Barber <jab@rock.anchorage.net>
Cc:        "'freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org>, "'hackers@FreeBSD.ORG'" <hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Slow Etherlink

On Mon, 16 Sep 1996, Jeffrey Barber wrote:

> OK, If we can get past all the sarcasim bull shit! I realize that the ping
>I showed for Linux seems to be slower than FreeBSD but the point is that I
>have faster telnet response from Linux than I do FreeBSD. For the more
>serious ppl who want to help. Let me rephrase my question: Why would
>pinging and telneting to FreeBSD be slower than that of a Linux box?

Do you mean slower on start up or just plain slower.  A ping to the
localhost will not tell you anything about telnet performance.  They
don't even use the same protocols (ICMP vs. TCP).   If you mean slower to
start, try looking at your IN-ADDR.ARPA setup.  Improperly configured
reverse DNS can make telnet crawl.

One thing I will say about Linux is that it has superior screen display
performance.  So, if what you are complaining about is screen redraw
speed, Linux is much faster than FreeBSD.  However, the redraw slowness
of FreeBSD does not show up under xterm.  Maybe it's the syscons driver,
try the other driver and see if that's faster.  Do remember though, for
routing functions and raw data transfers, FreeBSD blows the doors off of
Linux. (and Cisco for that matter)

Good Luck,

Craig

+------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+