Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:39:42 -0500
From:      Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
To:        Leif Neland <leifn@image.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hostid equals Ethernet address or IP address ?

On Fri, Feb 20, 1998 at 08:43:05AM +0100, Leif Neland wrote:
> At 20 Feb 98 00:38:01 Doug White wrote regarding Re: hostid equals Ethernet
> address or IP address ?
>
>  DW> There are cases where two NICs on the same net had the same MAC.
>  DW>  Allowing reprogramming saves the company from having to swap
>  DW> NICs.
>
> Unless somebody reprogrammed the NIC, there shouldn't exist duplicate MAC's
> anywhere in the world. Aren't the manufactures supposed to give any unit its
> own unique mac?
>

> Leif Neland
> leifn@image.dk
>
> ---
> |Fidonet:  Leif Neland 2:234/49
> |Internet: leifn@image.dk

Yes, with the exception of some special cases, e.g., a bridge. They go to
extreme efforts to ensure the uniqueness of MAC addresses. However, if
they are also supplying utilities or documentation on how to reprogram
the MAC addresses, it can certainly negate their efforts, break device
drivers, cause problems with arp resolution, etc..

That said, ICs with duplicate addresses *are* produced. Sometimes buyers
select the wrong supplier (I'll get them made here because it doesn't
cost as much or the bill of materials listed the wrong supplier).
Sometimes a contract manufacturer will receive a blank device and simply
duplicate one from another board. Even network disk caching has caused
the duplication of MAC addresses.

Oh well, this thread has long since vectored from its original intent
so it's probably time to end it before someone thinks they subscribed
to hackers. ;-)
--
Regards,
Norman C. Rice, Jr.