Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 95 22:03:47 CDT
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD networking question

> Daniel M. Eischen stands accused of saying:
> > Is it possible to configure a FreeBSD machine to be a gateway between
> > a Workgroup for Windows subnet, an AppleTalk network, and another
> > subnet of FreeBSD machines?  The FreeBSD subnet has access to the
> > Internet.  How would such a machine be configured?
>
> What are you talking on the Appletalk network?  Just Ethertalk, or a mix
> with TCP/IP? (Or Localtalk, see below...)

Actually, I found out today that the Mac network is Localtalk, and that
most likely the only Ethernet capable Mac is the one I mentioned below.
So it would have to sit on either the WfW network or the FreeBSD network,
right?

> > Diagram:

[SNIP]

> > Currently, the Appletalk and WfW networks are not connected to anything.
> > We'd like to connect those two networks together, and at the same time
> > obtain access to the internet through the FreeBSD network which already
> > has this capability.
>
> Yup, can do.  You can put three ethernet cards in the FreeBSD machine
> & configure it to route for all of them.
>
> > Without getting into a long story, our resources are limited because it
> > takes too long to obtain needed hardware/software.  What we do have is
> > what you see above with two supported Ethernet cards in the FreeBSD gateway.
> > There is also one Mac in the Appletalk network that has a copy of
> > Mach Ten (TM) which is suppose to be BSD4.3, and an Ethernet controller.
>
> Um.  Does this mean you're running a Localtalk network with the Macs,
> or an ethernet?  If the former, and the MachTen system is up all the
> time, put it on the same ethernet as the FreeBSD machines and use it
> to route for them.  See below wrt. proxies.

Yes, we should be able to keep the MachTen system up all the time.  Even if
it does come down on occaision, it's a heck of a lot more connection than
they use to have!

> > We have legal IP addresses for the FreeBSD subnet, but may have to use
> > some of those reserved IP addresses for internal use on the WfW and the
> > Appletalk network.
>
> In that case you'll need to make sure the clients you intend to use will
> work with proxy servers.  You can build socks on the FreeBSD machine
> without any difficulty, and a proxy web server comes with the FreeBSD
> distribution (CERN), which should cover most of your needs.

Great, thanks for the info!

> > Dan Eischen
>
> --
> ]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au    [[
> ]] Genesis Software                     genesis@atrad.adelaide.edu.au   [[
> ]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
> ]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
> ]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org