Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 06:24:46 -0700
From:      "Keith Schmauss" <keith_schmauss@mailbolt.com>
To:        "Charlie Clark" <charlie@begeistert.org>, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: in regrade to yr Sony LPt

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:05:04 +0100, "Charlie Clark"
<charlie@begeistert.org> said:
> Dear list,
>
> I have a Sony PCG-GR114EK notebook and I'm trying to get FreeBSD to work
> on
> it with varying degrees of success. I've tried 4.6, 4.7 and 5.0 and I'll
> give the errors in that order.
>
> FreeBSD 4.6.
> This installs the best and I don't have any problems except when trying
> run XFree86 (Version 4.2.0). I get an error message: (EE) Nor drivers
> available. I have a Radeon Mobility which should work as far as I know.
> When I setup XFree86 I couldn't find any ATI drivers but I have read that
> this is a known issue. I've tried using autoconfigure but the resulting
> configuration causes the laptop to freeze and I haven't found anything
> better than switching off the power in order to regain control :-/ I have
> tried all various setup routines including trying to use VESA. I know
> that
> VESA drivers work as the machine boots fine with VESA drivers for BeOS.
>
> FreeBSD 4.7.
> I can install 4.7 but I think I have the same XFree86 problems as with
> 4.6.
> However, the biggest problem seems to be with "umass"
> I get lots of "umass0: CBI reset failed, TIMEOUT" messages when I boot
> from
> the install CD and subsequently after installing. From another post it
> looks like umass has something to do with USB. Is there anything I can do
> to disable this? I've also had problems with ATA similar to those noted
> in
> 5.0 below.
>
> FreeBSD 5.0.
> I was hoping the most recent version would have the best hardware
> support.
> This may well be the case but I have a showstopper as I can't install
> from
> the CD. Either the install hangs on the Cardbus detection "cbb1:
> <RFC5C476
> PCI-CardBus Bridge> at device 5.1 on pci2 or if I do get further I get
> into
> setup, choose my options and sysinstall claims it can't find my CD/DVD.
> Just before that happens I get the message in the console that ata1-slave
> timeout waiting for interrupt, ata1-slave ATAPI can't identity failed - I
> can't get the following messages as it switches into sysinstall too
> quickly.
>
> Suggestions? Thanx for your help
>
> Charlie Clark

Sir, I found out some info relate to problem;;;

please look at this web site it's not freebsd but linux,, and in some
cases they nearly samess in function
the web site is >>>
http://dafe.de/vaio/ it chat are your laptop and some configure for your
XFree86 setup