Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:12:37 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <thierry.herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        Annie Morin <annie.morin@viagenie.qc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI CD writer

Annie Morin wrote:

> Is it possible to make available a SCSI CD writer installed on a FreeBSD platform
> to users using WinNT ?

short answer : yes
longer answer : an SCSI writer can be driven with the "cdrecord"
application, which is in the ports. As it is a text-based program, you
should be able to use it via the "telnet" emulator under Win$$

> If yes, is it necessar to mount the empty CD?
> If yes what is the appropriate file system model I shoul use?

cdrecord comes with "mkisofs", which builds an ISO image from a file
tree mounted on the FreeBSD machine. You may have to transfer the file
tree from Win$$ to BSD (you may also use samba : this product allows the
use of a UNIX machine as a file server for Win$$ machines - see
www.samba.org)

> If I want to write the CD on the FreeBSD platform, what software already exists?

As I said, cdrecord works fine (there are lots of supported drives, and
the doc is readable)

	TfH