Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:12:05 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1011582725.400ab0@mired.org>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: BSD Make vs. GNU Make

Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net> types:
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 09:12:21AM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > If you're working on a single project - especially if it involves a
> > lot of interdependent things - then I recommend jam. Jam is in the
> > ports tree. It solves a fair number of the problems with make(*), and
> > is faster and more portable than either the BSD or GNU makes.
> >
> For portability GNU is a better choice if you work in a
> multi-versions-of-unix environment as I do. It was, last time
> I looked, available on all the platforms I was using.
>
> As for "jam" I have never heard of it.

It's in the ports tree.

> Doesn't portability involve the tool being ported to multiple
> platforms as well ?

Yup. Jam runs on more platforms than any make I've run into. For
instance, it will run on Windows as shipped by MS, without having to
load a flock of supporting tools. That it doesn't depend on the
underlying shell is one of the things that makes jamfiles more
portable than makefiles.

The ingres database was built with jam, on close to 100 different
platforms. I suspect Perforce is also built with jam - the people who
founded the company include the people who wrote jam - and you can see
what it's built on at <URL:
http://www.perforce.com/perforce/loadprog.html >.

> Or have I lived a sheltered life :)

Nope. Jam isn't in wide use, but the places that use it build products
for lots of different platforms, not just multiple-versions-of-unix.

	<mike