Date:      Thu, 31 May 2007 17:29:47 -0500
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        Rob <r17fbsd@xxiii.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Help with Bind config syntax for reverse DNS on subnet

At 03:44 PM 5/31/2007, Rob wrote:
>Hi, was hoping someone could help me with the correct syntax in my
>named.conf for reverse DNS on a small subnet.
>
>Say I have 10.0.0.0/27, such that actual addresses are 10.0.0.0 through
>10.0.0.31  -- If I add a zone like:
>zone "0.0.10.in-addr.arpa" {
>        type master;
>        file "master/0.0.10.in-addr.arpa";  };
>
>...I can define addresses for my little block, but reverse lookups on the
>rest of 10.0.0.x seem to fail.  What's the correct way to configure Bind
>for this?

You are missing any way to allow slaves to read the maps, so you might do
something like:
zone "0.0.10.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "master/0.0.10.in-addr.arpa";
        allow-transfer ( 10.0.0.2; and any other nameserver IP's; );
};

Then in your file:
0.0.10.in-addr.arpa list your addresses even if some are DHCP.
1     IN PTR router.domain.name.
2     IN PTR ns.domain.name.
3     IN PTR DHCP-10-0-0-3.domain.name.

etc . . .