Date:      Mon, 6 Apr 1998 22:38:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        gsutter@pobox.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Daylight Savings Time - bug

gsutter@pobox.com writes:

> >One note I've seen is this isn't a cron bug, but stems from the fact that
> >on the day we switch to DST, there is no 0200h - it's really just an
> >oversight on the part of whoever it was that set the default here to 2AM.
>
> In the fall, do 0159h or 0200h crons run twice?

I think it only runs once. In other words, it can be designed
to work "correctly" in the fall or in the spring, but not both.
This is because "correct" is a matter of policy, not true
correctness.

Some cron entries are "meant" to run once every day (month,
hour, whatever) e.g. /etc/daily. Others are meant to run once,
at the specified time (e.g., on April 15, remind me that my
taxes are due). Which behavior you choose makes one of these
types work but not the other.

I agree that /etc/daily and friends should be scheduled to
run at some time other than between 2am and 3am.

-Archie